Under the direction of the Supervisor and/or Lead, will maintain and care for the exterior appearance of institutional buildings, lawns, plantings, and grounds surrounding the campus utilizing hand tools, walk-behind equipment, and small riding equipment. This work involves adhering to established standard procedures, techniques, and safety requirements with some judgment required to interpret instructions.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintains and cares for institutional grounds by: mowing, seeding, and aerating lawns and turf; trimming and edging around trees, flower beds, buildings, and walkways; watering lawns, shrubs, and ornamental gardens during dry periods; removing and disposing of debris throughout grounds area.
- Reports pest problems on turf, ground covers, flowers, trees, and shrubs. Takes care of plants, shrubs, and flowers located throughout campus by: collecting soil samples from grounds and beds to be tested by others to determine deficiencies based upon the specific use for the area; prepares grounds and ornamental beds for planting and seeding, hauls and spreads topsoil and mixed in fertilizer, peat moss, compost, vermiculite, and other additives to condition the soil. Plants ornamentals, flowers, shrubs, and trees as required regarding depth, distance, and cultural requirements for each to enhance survival rates; trims and prunes shrubs and trees, weeds and thins ornamental flowers to shape and improve growth. Seeds, sods, slices as needed. Interprets blueprints or follows verbal and written instructions in performing skilled landscape maintenance and construction.
- Operates, services, and maintains all grounds maintenance equipment such as trucks, tractors, large seeders, riding mowers, snow removal equipment, skid loaders, end loaders, and tiltbed trucks.
- Operates, services, and maintains hand power tools and equipment such as weedeaters, lawnmowers, roto-tillers, chain saws, fertilizer spreaders, small seeders, sod cutters, walk-behind sweepers, vacs, and turf renovators.
- Assists with landscape construction by: operating jackhammers and other related equipment to remove broken sidewalks; mixing, pouring, and spreading concrete, asphalt, gravel, and other materials; digging holes and trenches to assist in the preparation of irrigation and drainage systems; excavating and preparing grounds prior to initiation of construction projects. Assists in the repair and replacement of utility lines by using hand tools, power tools, and grounds equipment.
- Under guidance of the Tree Surgeon, shall perform general tree maintenance as required. Shall assist in the planting, staking, and removal of trees as needed. Uses pruning saws, loppers, and chain saws in performing these duties.
- Sets up plant material for use at Special Events.
- Removes snow from sidewalks, steps, road, and parking lots by means of hand tools, power brooms, tractors, and trucks. Spreads de-icers and abrasives on all public passageways, as needed. Must be able to respond to emergency situations on all occasions and must be available for telephone contact during all emergency and environmentally unsafe conditions.