Under the direction of the Operations Manager, the duties of this position require the individual to perform a variety of tasks related to maintenance and repair of buildings and equipment. These duties include providing 24 hour, seven days a week, continuous coverage; provides emergency coordination with Facilities Management shops and/or emergency personnel such as fire department, police, Environmental Health & Safety; and to make repairs as needed on a daily basis.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conducts daily routine inspections of all facilities maintained by Facilities Management to ensure proper functioning of equipment so as to minimize any damage to building, equipment, property, and to minimize danger to life. Conducts normal operating procedures on equipment requiring routine adjustments.
- Performs routine maintenance on air handling equipment, fan coil, and associated cooling equipment in buildings per an established maintenance schedule to include filter changes, lubrication, replacement of belts, etc.
- Required to operate and test emergency generators to ensure safe and reliable operation during power outages. Monitors all outside lighting for a safe night environment and contacts appropriate personnel for problems via work requests. Required to complete preventive maintenance of generators such as oil changes, fuel and oil filter changes, belts, hoses, etc.
- Operates computer utilizing various software packages to monitor and maintain building environments.
- Documents all activities in the manual logging system and initiates work requests as necessary. Shall develop and prepare logs with necessary data as may be required by the Operations Manager or emergency personnel.
- Answers all after hours emergency/non-emergency calls including but not limited to: fire alarms; hazardous material spills and emergencies; hazardous road conditions; power outages; wind, storm, and flood damage; loss of main and/or building steam supply; securing buildings. Acts as after-hours liaison between Facilities Mgt. and the University community.
- Under the direction of security, will be responsible for locking and unlocking doors for access of personnel. Will also be responsible for giving access to personnel in emergency conditions such as fire, flood, hazardous spills, storm damage, etc.
- Will maintain safe standards and working conditions following all state, local, and federal requirements. Will be responsible for calling out support personnel when conditions warrant. This will include repair of equipment as well as safety issues.
- May be involved in repairs to electrical, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, and carpentry as the situation requires. Also may be required to assist shop personnel with emergency repairs when necessary.
- May be required to do elevator repair such as resetting of power to elevator and resetting of computer when elevator is operated by computer. Provides safe evacuation of people from malfunctioning elevators and calling of elevator personnel when necessary.
- Required to monitor fire alarm and ADT panels with first response to fire alarms. Required to correct fire system malfunctions such as but not limited to: resetting of pull stations; draining, repairing, and replacing of sprinkler heads of sprinkler systems; cleaning and removing smoke / duct detectors, etc. Requires fire watch on fire alarms, putting alarms back in service, and giving the ALL CLEAR for personnel evacuated to re-enter building.
- Must be able to respond during off hours to cover emergency situations. Must be available for call-outs for repair and/or assistance for problems that may arise such as emergencies, shut-downs, etc. at times other than regular work hours and pre-scheduled work.
- When assigned to a building, individual will coordinate work and needs with Building Supervisor, Facilities Management Supervisors, and other appropriate personnel as may be required by situation.
- Operates electrical testing equipment and a variety of power tools such as benders, drills, saws, pumps, pipe threaders, etc.
- Required to perform general maintenance duties and responsibilities as necessary and to assist other trades with electrical connections, lighting, sheet metal fabrication, painting, carpentry, plumbing, millwright work, etc.
- This position will back up Trades Specialist Lead II in his/her absence, functioning as a team leader and providing guidance to journeymen, Trades Specialists, and any other support personnel as required. Follows procedures and makes work assignments to the crew. This back-up role occurs approximately 6-8 times per month.
- Will be required to train and familiarize employees on locations of buildings, equipment, operating procedures, log requirements, work requests, and other job related requirements for the purpose of orientation.
- Will be responsible for removal of pests from buildings and grounds. This would include snakes, bees, raccoons, and other pests that may pose a safety hazard to staff and students.
- Ensures that work areas, shop, and storage areas are clean and neatly maintained.
- Picks up and delivers material for emergency situations and as needed to complete work assignments.
- This position is responsible for adherence to all WVU Policies and Procedures and all State and Federal laws.
- Operates man lifts or aerial lifts as may be required.
- Assists Supervisor in development of preventive maintenance programs.
- May be required to move, load, and carry all materials and equipment necessary to complete all phases of assigned maintenance and construction projects. May be required to move any existing conditions that interfere with the flow of the project. When project is completed, work site must be left in a clean and orderly fashion.
- High school diploma and vocational training of up to 18 months beyond high school within the maintenance field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two-three years of experience in four or more of the following listed skilled trades: electrical, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, refrigeration, plumbing, mechanical, carpentry, fire systems control, and building maintenance.
License or certification(s)
- Current driver’s license.